It’s mid-October in Indianapolis, and that means Halloween festivities are soon approaching! Even if you’re already making smart home security choices for October’s Crime Prevention Month, Halloween–with all its activities around Indy–may take some special consideration when it comes to making sure your family has a happy and safe holiday.
Let’s take a look at some of the best ways you can keep your family and your home safe as you celebrate Halloween in Indianapolis.
Keeping Kids Safe on Halloween
For kids, there’s nothing better than dressing up in a costume and getting free candy for a whole night. For parents, there’s nothing worse than having to worry about your childrens’ safety. Take the stress out of the holiday with these tips for a safe, kid-friendly Halloween night.
- Younger children should be supervised at all times when trick-or-treating. Whether you walk with your children to each and every house, drive nearby while keeping an eye on them, or have them go with a trusted chaperone, make sure they’re never out of sight.
- For older children and teens, if going trick-or-treating with friends, keep the lines of communication open. Just like if they were home alone, have regular check-ins via call or text message.
- No matter how well-lit a neighborhood is, make sure kids’ costumes are easily visible, both to you and any motorists. Avoid all-black costumes, opt for brighter materials, and have kids carry their hard-earned treats in reflective containers or bags.
- If trick-or-treating isn’t quite right for your family, for whatever reason, Indianapolis has a huge number of alternative activities for the whole family. Check out Visit Indy or Indy With Kids for activities and events that everyone can enjoy.
Keeping Your Home Safe on Halloween
Whether staying at home on Halloween night, taking the kids out, or attending a Halloween party, home security should be a priority due to the increased activity every neighborhood is sure to have. Here are just a few things you can do to make sure your home and anyone stopping by are taken care of.
- Set your security alarm system. There’s a reason for the stereotype of pranks and mischief on Halloween night, so the extra layer of protection is always a good idea, whether you stay at home or go out.
- Make sure all smoke and fire alarms are functioning. Candles, jack-o-lanterns, and more are all common for the holiday - so take precautions for fire safety in your home.
- If you’re welcoming party guests or trick-or-treaters, be sure to make your home easily accessible and brightly lit. You can help visitors avoid accidents or injury by clearing your walkway, and keeping bright lights on for as long as you want guests to knock on the door.
- Be smart about who you open your door to. Set a strict time when you’ll stop accepting trick-or-treaters, and always check who’s knocking before opening the door.
Enjoy Your Halloween, Indy!
With these tips in mind, you can make sure you and your family get the most enjoyment out of Halloween, without any stress or worry. For more ways to keep your home and family safe, check out our Indianapolis Security Tips blog, or talk to Guardhouse Security by calling 317-602-5777 and find the gaps in your home security before the holidays get started.