Winter is on our doorstep, and while it may be the most wonderful time of the year to some, it can be the most hectic time for Indianapolis business owners. As if inclement weather wasn’t enough, the holiday season can add an extra layer of stress. However, with the proper planning, you can ensure your winter is a stress-free and safe one for you, your people, and your business.
Prepping Your Business for Winter Weather
Just like Midwest homeowners need to winterize their houses, so too should business owners make sure their facilities are ready to handle whatever Old Man Winter throws at them. Here are a few of the things you can do to make sure you’re prepared for winter:
- Heavy Indianapolis snowstorms have a tendency to result in power outages. Make sure your business is equipped with an emergency backup generator that powers your essential systems (lights, computer systems, security systems).
- Be sure any exterior walkways are cleared of snow and ice and safe for walking. This makes a safer environment for your employees and customers, with the added benefit of protecting your liability. Keep shovels, brushes and sidewalk salt on hand to help.
- Prevent frozen and bursting pipes in your building by keeping a minimum heat level, even if you close for a period of time during the holidays.
- Have an emergency plan in place for employees and customers alike in case of sudden severe weather. Use this guide from The Center for Public Health as a starting point to create your own.
- If employees can telecommute or work from home, let them know their options in case driving conditions become too dangerous for regular commuting.
Prepping Your Business for the Holidays
You can’t prep for winter without prepping for the holiday season. Depending on your industry, the holidays could be the busiest or the slowest time of the year for your business. Either way, use the following tips to ensure your business takes on the holidays like a champ:
- If your team plans to hang lights or use any sort of extra heaters at this time of year, practice commercial fire safety by safely wrapping wires, and keeping flammable items away from heat sources.
- Depending on your business, the holiday season may be an apt time for theft to occur (such as in retail locations). Deter theft with security cameras and motion sensors on public exits.
- If you and your team are taking some time off for the holidays, keep an extra eye on your premises with commercial access control (CAC) systems that can automatically alert management to to anyone coming and going through your building.
- Be sure your existing security system is up to the task of the holiday rush, or the holiday break. Test your system in preparation for the season with this guide.
Have a Safe and Stress Free Season, Indy
Winter and the holiday season are what you make of it. With the right preparation and help from your Indianapolis security specialists, you can make sure yours go as smoothly as possible. Call Guardhouse Security at 317-602-5777 today to talk about what you can do to get ready for the season.