You're savvy about your spending habits. And, when you installed your security system, you probably thought of it as an investment – as you should. With advanced energy management solutions, now you can take this investment a little further and get a tangible return on it.
Did you know? You can turn your lights on or off and adjust your thermostat automatically when you use your security system.
This results in a lower energy bill and higher comfort level. With these 4 simple ways, you keep more money in your pocket while conserving valuable natural resources. Combining remote access ability with an advanced home automation solution such as ones offered by Honeywell allows you to use your smartphone to:
- Automatically set Z-Wave enabled thermostats. It sets the thermostat back when the security system is armed and returns the temperature to normal when disarmed.
- Control Z-Wave enabled thermostats remotely. This comes in handy when you want to decrease the temperature at night, but you don't want to leave your warm bed. You just saved yourself a hassle – and lowered your utility bill.
- Automatically set lights. Turn lights on when the security system is disarmed. This way you walk into a well lit home. Turns lights off when the security system is armed. This reduces energy usage and saves you money.
- Control lights when you're away. We've all had that moment when you leave the house and can't remember if you turned off all the lights. Now, you can pull out your smartphone and do just that. Money saved.
With the home automation technology available, you can actively control your energy bill's biggest culprits. The actual savings will vary based on geographical location and your efficient use of the energy management system.
By incorporating a Z-Wave thermostat and lighting with remote access, your security system can reduce your energy bill. But, it can only go so far if you don't follow other energy saving steps, such as:
- Keeping your AC system running at peak performance by changing or cleaning the air filters at least once a month.
- Using ENERGY STAR® products when possible, especially replacing your five most-used light fixtures and/or bulbs.
- Grilling out more often during those Indianapolis summers. Your AC is forced to work harder when you use the oven in the heat of summer, which raises your energy bill.
- Installing a timer for the water heater to turn it off when you're not home.
Reducing your energy bill isn't the only way home automation works along with your security system to improve your life. Find out more about how the two work together here.
If you're interested in more security tips, follow us on Facebook.