The security provider set up your system with Total Connect and left you with a brochure on how to use the control panel and app. If you’re honest with yourself, you’re never going to read that brochure. Maybe you even tossed it in the trash.
But, like many homeowners in Indianapolis, you have many reasons to love Total Connect, and you want to get more out of it than just adding users and setting up simple event notifications. You want to know how to create a video triggered event notification. You’re in the right place.
Say you want to get a text or email message if a video camera detects motion when the security system is armed away. This would be useful to you if there is motion in a certain part of your house while you’re at work. (If you have a security system at your place of business, you can also get notifications when motion is detected after hours.) Each member of the “default group” of users will be notified when video motion occurs. Most likely, that default group is you and your spouse/family.
Here’s a quick guide to creating a video triggered event notification in Total Connect:
1. Click the Setup icon on the “events, rules & notifications” bar.
2. Choose the event category “video”. Under “setup,” activate the motion detection feature.
3. Go back to the “events, rules & notifications” bar, choose the event category “security”.
4. In the first tab - the “arming” event category, pick the event “armed away” to be notified of.
5. At the bottom right, click “video capture”.
6. Choose “always” from the “sched/state” drop-down field.
7. Pick a certain camera or “all cameras” from the camera drop-down field. Make sure the “enabled” box is checked.
8. Click “save”.
Now, if a camera detects motion when the security system is armed away, the “default group” of users will be notified.
Find out what your Indianapolis home’s security needs are with this quick assessment.